The Director of Technical Services is the head of the Directorate supervising three cadres which are under his purview viz a viz ARCHITECTURAL CADRE, ENGINEERING CADRE and BUILDING CADRE.
Duties and Responsibilities of Director of Technical Services:
- As head of the department, the DTS is the chief policy/technical adviser to the Ministry in his or her area of specialization.
- He/ She is responsible for reviewing designs done by staff under him as well as designs from other institutions.
- The director is responsible for the preparation of budgets and plans and the setting up and monitoring of performance targets for senior staff who work directly under him/her.
- He/she develops/implements capacity building plans for staff and ensures that they adhere to the ethics of the civil service and the engineering profession.
Functions of the Architectural Cadre include:
- Help in formulating policies and the management of architectural resources.
- Coordination/implementation and evaluation of all architectural programs and activities.
- Provide advice and training to non-professional staff within the architectural cadre.
- Responsible for preparing complex drawings from architectural designs and sketches.
- Responsible for carrying out surveys for existing buildings and for record keeping.
- Assist in reviewing of designs from other institutions.
Functions of Engineering Cadre include:
- Provide engineering advice/services to the Ministry.
- the design and the supervision of the construction of all engineering-based work under the Ministry’s purview.
- Support the professional group in engineering designs, installation, testing, maintenance and repairs.
- Assist in reviewing of engineering designs from other institutions.
Functions of the building cadre include:
- Formulation of policies on the management of artesian resources.
- Coordination/implementation and evaluation artesian programs and activities.
- Providing advice and training to non-professional staff within the artesian cadre.
- Responsible for preparing complex drawings from artesian drawings and sketch drawing in consultation with the planning and design division.
- Responsible for the day to day execution of services. E.g. plumbing, carpentry, refrigeration, air-conditioning and masonry of all government buildings.